Wednesday, November 12, 2008

A solitary expedition

Not too long ago...

The first day of winter, if there is anything like that. There was work to be done, a lecture to attend. But I knew I wouldn't do it. I would not stop by the turn that led up to my class. No not today. I would just keep walking. Past the university... into nowhere. The light snow flakes nestled on the cheeks, dissolving into that occasional tear. The trees were still bright, clinging to spring as long as they could. For them as well as for me, it was time to move on. It's in my nature to resist. But I grow with acceptance and it overwhelms me. The beauty of solitude and starkness. Of the lake perfectly still, rustled only by a gust of the chilly wind. Of the white sheep dog that comes running at me from nowhere, and plays with me, as if we've known each other forever. I am thankful for what I have. I learn to appreciate it. And yes, accept what I can't have.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoy what you have... accept what you cant
But dont forget to give it a try... lest you make a can't out of shan't...

Just as you have to know the beauty of solitude to enjoy company, you have to know the beauty of company to learn from solitude!

wildflower said...

beautiful..
it's so much better when lost in the wild..